While hospitals can provide specialized and emergency care better than anywhere else, it turns out that there’s no better place for rehabilitation than at home.
- Home rehabilitation tends to be shorter. It turns out that the comforts of home can affect our mental and physical health. Stress negatively impacts health, including how quickly we recover from illness. The stress of a hospital stay can slow recovery times, whereas being in a warm, familiar environment can promote faster healing.
- Personalized care. One of the drawbacks of hospital care is that there are a tremendous number of people involved day to day – and they often differ from one day to the next. This can result in a lower quality of care, or more generalized care, in which mistakes are more likely to be made. When choosing a home healthcare service, you are more likely to see the same two or three people day after day who are intimately familiar with your care plan.
- Home care can be safer. About 20% of those who endure long hospital stays acquire a secondary infection contracted at the hospital. The risk of contracting further infections is reduced in a home environment. With fewer but more informed caretakers, the risk of miscommunication related to care is also reduced.
- Rehabilitation at home is more affordable. Healthcare costs are on the rise, while the quality of care remains the same. Overnight hospital stays are among the costliest types of care. By shifting that care to a home environment, you can save thousands of dollars over the cost of a lengthy hospital stay.
- Better outcomes. According to a 2015 study, there are fewer instances of re-hospitalization when rehabilitation and recovery are overseen at home. People who recover at home simply do
Home is where we prefer our loved ones, especially when they are recovering from a long illness or injury. But to ensure that they are getting the care that they need there, it’s important to reach out for the help you need to properly care for them. Learn more about home health care options from Graceworks at Home.