Did you make a resolution to get fit this new year? Maybe you just want to add a little cardio into an already existing workout routine. Whatever the case, walking is a great option — especially for seniors! Places like Bethany Village offer safe and expansive walking trails for both exercise and pleasure. Bethany’s full time exercise physiologist Christy Trittschuh has some tips to integrate walking into your everyday routine. Here are her top five tips:
1. Time is more important than distance. Strive for 20 to 30 minutes a day. You can start with even 5 minutes of walking at a time and build from there.
2. Wear shoes with a rubber sole, good arch support and cushioning.
3. Pedometers are good to measure the distance. You can make great strides by just adding one more block at a time to each walk.
4. A buddy is a good support system and encouragement tool. Find someone who will hold you accountable for doing the exercise. You will also feel secure that someone is with you.
5. Always remember: if it is icy, move your workout indoors.
Finally, do you need a little help sticking with your resolutions? Christy has help with that as well. She says to:
1. Do activities you enjoy.
2. Integrate fitness in your schedule.
3. Use the buddy system for motivation and support.
4. Stay off the weight scales.
5. Start off slowly.
6. Remember: you’re unique.
7. Don’t work too hard – go at your own pace.
8. Reschedule missed workouts.
9. Make fitness a habit.
10.Have a plan for what you want to achieve from your workout.
Finally, if you’re already an avid exerciser, you might consider another popular resolution aimed at older adults. Some of these include planning a fun trip, reading a self-help book and committing to laughter.
Did you make a resolution for 2012?