January 3, 2011
Are you retired and looking to make a move to a senior living community like Bethany Village? Maybe you’re an adult child and you are planning for both your parent and yourself. As we get ready to usher in a new year, give yourself some time to reflect on the past…and what you would like to happen in the future.
If you want to start 2011 off right, you’ll need a plan. Here are some popular resolutions for seniors:
- Consider your living arrangements. Is it time to move to a senior living community and leave the life of maintenance and housework behind?
- Get (or keep!) moving every day for optimal physical fitness. Bethany Village exercise physiologist Christy Trittschuh reminds all of us to start small and do mild exercises like walking.
- Clean out your dressers, drawers, closets and donate what you no longer want or need. Think of the feeling of accomplishment when you have all that free closet space!
- Make plans to get together with a friend or neighbor at least once a week. This forces you to keep a social schedule and strengthens your non-familial relationships.
- Be indulgent. That’s right! You’ve earned that extra (occasional!) cookie or extra hour of sleep. Drop the guilt, enjoy life more.
All those resolutions are well and good for people who are already retired. But what if you are a Baby Boomer and thinking about retiring in the next decade or so? There are some important resolutions you should be considering as well. Here are a few key points:
- Get your financial house in order. Baby Boomers Retirement Network has an entire checklist regarding your finances and future retirement goals. The top of their list? Stashing enough money in your 401(k) to get your employer match and don’t keep all your investments in one company’s stock.
- Get moving everyday. Just like mom and dad, you need to move it…or lose it! Hit the gym or grab a friend and go walking. Staying healthy cuts down on doctor bills.
- Take good care of your aging parents and plan for both your futures.
- Hire a lawyer and get a will…and a living will, too.
- Travel to different destinations and consider where you’d like to spend retirement.
So that’s what the experts say should be on your resolution list for 2011. Do you have any other resolutions not listed here?
Categories: Bethany Blog