When some people think of retirement living, they might think of the “nursing homes” of decades past. They may imagine a cold, hospital-like setting, where older adults are isolated and have to give up their independence. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth!
Today’s retirement communities are designed to be warm, homelike, and socially engaging. In fact, according to recent research, the overall health and wellness benefits of retirement community living are significant.
What research reveals about retirement community living
A recent study conducted by the Mather Lifeway Institute on Aging provided insight into the correlation between senior health and wellness and retirement community living.
The five-year research project, called the Age Well Study, gathered health and wellness data from over 5,000 seniors living in retirement communities across the country.
Early findings from the Age Well Study indicate something that many retirement communities have known for years: that residents live happier, healthier, and more satisfying lives when a holistic or “whole person” approach to health and wellness is taken. This means addressing the interconnected needs of an individual to enhance their mental, physical, social, and spiritual wellbeing.
Here are some of the ways that today’s retirement communities care for residents in mind, body, and spirit:
- Creating a full calendar of life enrichment activities to stimulate the mind and fit a wide variety of resident interests.
- Providing fitness classes and exercise spaces to help residents live active, healthy lives.
- Designing group gathering rooms and dining spaces that encourage socialization and connection among residents.
- Scheduling fun outings and events that residents can experience together.
- Embracing spiritual engagement through nature, meditation, and faith-based practices. Many communities have on-campus worship services and Bible studies for residents to participate in if desired.
At Bethany Village, we offer a maintenance-free retirement lifestyle where day-to-day living is joyful, engaging, and fulfilling. We invite you to visit our vibrant, welcoming community and learn more about our approach to support older adults in mind, body, and spirit.