When you picture your retirement years, what do you envision? If you’re looking forward to an active and engaging retirement lifestyle filled with meaningful social activities and hobbies, an independent living community could be a great fit for you! Today’s independent living offers vibrant social communities designed to support and prolong the independence of seniors, enabling them to enjoy retirement years on their terms. So, when is the best time to consider making the move?
The truth is, it’s never too early to begin planning for independent living. Not only will you be able to research all the options, but you’ll also be more informed, confident, and in control of choosing the senior living community that best suits you.
If you’ve found yourself wondering, “Is independent living right for me?” these signs might indicate you’re ready for a change:
- Your home feels like a burden. Between daily chores, yard work, and repairs, being a homeowner can be exhausting and stressful. As you grow older, it can become even harder to take care of your home. You may also find you do not need as much space as you used to. These are good signs you could benefit from downsizing to a smaller, easier-to-manage residence in an independent living community. Independent living communities offer maintenance and landscaping services are included in their community fees. Imagine never having to worry about raking leaves, cleaning gutters or fixing leaky faucets again — you can simply sit back and enjoy the relaxing retirement you deserve.
- You’re ready for more convenience. When you move to a senior living community, you’ll also have access to a range of modern amenities and services to complement your independent lifestyle, from on-campus amenities like a fitness center and beauty salon to delicious dining, light housekeeping and linen services, and transportation to local errands and appointments. Bethany Village makes everyday life easier and more convenient. It’s no surprise that many independent living residents say they wish they had moved sooner!
- You want to expand your social circle. Unfortunately, loneliness, boredom, and isolation can become all too common as we get older. Many seniors find their social circles shrinking after their children grow up and start families of their own, or after they retire and leave the structure of the workforce. If the idea of meeting new people and forming new friendships excites you, it’s an excellent time to consider relocating to a senior living community.
From the moment you step foot on the community’s campus, you’ll be connected to a vibrant social network of friendly neighbors and like-minded peers. Independent living communities like Bethany Village regularly host fun events for residents ranging from happy hours to ice cream socials, and of course, holiday celebrations. You’ll never have to worry about being bored in independent living!
- You want more free time for the activities and hobbies you love. One of the biggest benefits of moving to independent living is that you’ll have more freedom to devote your time to the activities you already love and pursue new hobbies you’ve always wanted to try. Maybe you want to travel, paint, or play guitar. Without the hassles of homeownership, you’ll be able to make the most of your time and focus on what brings you joy.
Best of all, moving to independent living means you don’t have to give up any of your community involvement. As an independent living resident, you can stay connected to your local community through volunteer organizations and clubs, cultural events and worship services, visits to nearby restaurants and shopping centers, and much more.
- You’re starting to think about your future care needs. Even if you’re independent and in good health now, it’s not too soon to start planning for the day when you need a little more help and support with day-to-day activities.
A continuing-care retirement community (CCRC) like Bethany Village offers the full spectrum of senior care all on one campus for adults ages 62 and up, including independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing care, memory care, and on-site senior rehabilitation services. This means as your healthcare needs change and you need more support, you can transition to the next level of care without having to leave the community you call home and all the friends you’ve made. Moving to independent living within a CCRC while you’re still healthy and active gives you and your family peace of mind knowing that you’ll always have the care you need, now and in the future.
Planning Ahead for Independent Living
As you can see, moving to independent living sooner means you’ll be able to enjoy a maintenance-free lifestyle, make new friends, take advantage of convenient amenities and services, and experience the benefits of living in a vibrant community! More and more seniors are planning ahead by researching and touring senior living options early, joining a waitlist for their desired community, and then beginning the process of downsizing.
Are you ready to explore all the benefits of independent living at Bethany Village? Contact us today to schedule a complimentary tour of our community and start planning ahead for your ideal retirement lifestyle.